HOME > NEWS & COMMENT
Welcome to G7uk.com
 

 
 
Thursday 20 October 2011

Manchester Pride charity figure for 2011

Manchester Pride has announced a figure of £105,000 for good causes.

However, only £98,000 of this amount was raised during the ten day festival. The other £7,000 came from fundraising at the Manchester Pride Dinner which took place in September 2010 — almost a year before. (more…)


Filed under: Gay,LGBT,Manchester — GS @ 9:38 pm
Wednesday 24 March 2010

Accounting mistake costs Manchester Council Tax payers £421,000 and it won’t be repaid

Manchester Liberal Democrats have asked the District Auditor to investigate the loss of £421,000 of City Council funds due to a basic accounting error.

The sum was part of funding that went to Marketing Manchester (the tourist board).

Manchester City Council was supposed to pay 35% of Marketing Manchester’s costs and another nine Councils would be responsible for the other 65% between them. But, since 2004 and due to a mistake, Manchester has paid around 56% and the other Councils just 44%.

At the last meeting of the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities (AGMA) Deputy Council Leader Jim Battle (who attended as Manchester’s representative) ‘kindly agreed to waive the overpayment’. How generous!

Here are extracts from the minutes of the meetings:

Minutes of the AGMA meeting

Minutes of the AGMA meeting

The Manchester Green Party has backed calls for the District Auditor to be brought in.

Marketing Manchester doesn’t seem to have benefited from the mistake or been responsible for it. But regular readers of my site will be only too familiar with this organisation as the one that has ramped up Manchester Pride into the high cost tourist event that it is today.

One individual is now Chief Executive of Marketing Manchester, Chair of Manchester Pride and Chair of the (gay) Village Business Association. An unhealthy concentration of power in my opinion. What is good for tourism and businesses isn’t necessarily in the best interests of our Pride celebration and community.

Update (July 2010):

In an article published in May 2010, The Mule newspaper has information about other payments made by Manchester City Council to Marketing Manchester.


Filed under: LGBT,Manchester,Politics — GS @ 10:58 pm
Sunday 10 May 2009

Snouts in the trough at Manchester Pride: the Tourist Board

Manchester Pride and Marketing Manchester: two doors of the same sty

Much has been written about the extra income that Manchester Pride brings in for the local economy.

In 2008, Andrew Stokes, who is chairman of Manchester Pride and chief executive of Marketing Manchester (the tourist board) told the press that Pride was worth more than £17.5m per year to Manchester’s businesses. Other estimates have been as much as £22m.

With Pride bringing in so much much cash for businesses you might think that Marketing Manchester would owe us? After all, Pride is funded mainly by the public, through ticket sales. In 2008, we coughed up about £600,000 — two-thirds of the total Pride income — to run this giant tourist bonanza for the city and its businesses.

Manchester Pride's accounts 2007/2008

But no… Take a look at page 21 of the 2007/08 Manchester Pride accounts (PDF) and you’ll see that Pride paid £6,040 to Marketing Manchester for ‘normal commercial services’. Whereas Pride invoiced Marketing Manchester just £92.

I can reveal that the £6,040 charge was because Marketing Manchester does the business accounts for Manchester Pride!

Update (March 2010): it has emerged that an accounting mistake led to Manchester City Council accidentally paying Marketing Manchester £421,000. It has been written off, so council tax payers will foot the bill.

Update (April 2010): Andrew Stokes is now Chair of the [gay] Village Business Association, Chair of Manchester Pride, Chair of Queer Up North, Chief Executive of Marketing Manchester…

Update (January 2013): according to press releases from the time, it seems that Andrew Stokes resigned as Chair of Manchester Pride in December 2010. However the published Pride accounts for year ending 30 September 2011 state that he resigned a year later, on 14 December 2011. While according to his personal LinkedIn profile he left in Manchester Pride 2009. If you take the December 2010 date as the correct one, he was Chair of both the VBA and Pride for a period of some 8 months from April to December 2010.

Snouts in the trough

Vintage pig photos from the Library of Congress.


Filed under: Gay,LGBT,Manchester,Politics — GS @ 5:55 pm
Saturday 30 August 2008

Manchester Pride is a marketing event run by ‘dictators’ says chairman of Village Business Association

In a surprise development last night, Phil Burke the chairman of the Village Business Association issued a statement.

(more…)


Filed under: LGBT,Manchester — GS @ 3:34 am
Wednesday 27 June 2007

Community groups outraged by increase in Manchester Pride 2007 stall charges

LGBT community groups and HIV organisations that want to have a stall at the ‘Lifestyle Expo’ at this year’s Manchester Pride have been told they will have to pay £50 for the priviledge plus £30 for electricity.

(more…)


Filed under: LGBT,Manchester,Politics — GS @ 2:43 pm
Tuesday 12 June 2007

The Manchester Pride 2007 website

The website for Manchester Pride 2007 is up.

In the past year, the Charity Commission has told Operation Fundraiser and Manchester Pride that they must be more open with the public about where money goes and how they account for the income.

(more…)


Filed under: LGBT,Manchester — GS @ 7:17 am
Friday 2 February 2007

Manchester Pride exaggerates Parade crowd figures by 500%

250,000 do not watch the Parade as the organisers claim. The true figure is ‘tens of thousands’ and here is the proof.

(more…)


Filed under: LGBT,Manchester — GS @ 11:37 pm
 
< PREVIOUS  |  NEXT >
 
 
News & Comment


 
< PREVIOUS  |  NEXT >
 
 
 

Audio Buildings Bygone Manc Computing consumer Crime Documentary Environment Food & cookery Fun g7uktalk Gay General Health History LGBT Manchester Net & technology Personal Photography Politics Production Rushes Science Shopping software Strange The media TV & film Video-making Wildlife With video

 
xx
HOME > NEWS & COMMENT
 
Home
 

© Copyright g7uk.com 1999-2016